Totally OT for me and this blog, but I am way too mad not to share this.
Like most parents of school age kids I look forward to the next Disney flick. Figure it'll be better than most kid drivel and have acceptable themes for my daughter. Loved Frozen.
My 5-year old will not be seeing this movie. No way, no how. Not after what I saw in the trailer.
Maui is so dismissive of Moana that first he can't even let her introduce herself without interrupting. Has to keep the conversation on him. It isn't cute. But okay, lets see where they go with this.
The Maui steals her canoe and tries to kill Moana. He pushes her off the boat thinking she will drown, after she tries to assert her authority over her canoe.
How is this okay Disney?
How can you think that is cute?
Murdering a woman who is smaller, weaker and stealing her stuff is okay? It's just a character flaw to overcome?
He doesn't know she has magic powers to save her. He just throws her overboard to die. She saves herself. It's cute that she survived!
I do not want to see a story of redemption about a man who is willing to use his power to kill an innocent woman to take what she has, only to surprised that there may be consequences. I do not want my daughter to be exposed to that story as something cute and ok. I do not want to think that violence against her is to be expected from men.
Trying to kill a female character you've dismissed as weak is not a character flaw to be overcome. It is attempted murder by someone with real power.
Disney, attempted murder of the female lead is not fluff and nonsense. It is advocating violence against our girls.
This is one family who will not be seeing, nor buying your merchandise.
No comments:
Post a Comment